Thursday, August 31, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Make Your Own Gelatin Plate with Cornelia



Hi, Cornelia here today, making a gelatin mono printing plate and of course a card. Did you ever want to play with a gelatin printing plate? I wanted to for a very long time, but always felt intimidated by the process. No more. I spent a fun afternoon with Jenny from Craft Test Dummies (we happen to live in the same town and recently met) and she cured me from my fear. In fact, I got so excited that I made my own plate and I am going to share that with you today.


Now there are many recipes out there in Blogland and you can pick whichever one you like. The one I used is by Shaz in Oz and you can find it here.

Just in case you are too lazy busy to look up links, I wrote it out for you. At the bottom you will also find some video links, in case you like to watch:

For a 8x6 inch plate you will need:

Glycerine - 200 ml
Gelatin - 35 gram (5 packs)
Sugar - 50 grams
Water - 120 ml

So here is it - the glycerin, the water, the sugar and the glass Pyrex dish I used.



Take half of the water and dissolve the sugar.



Pour the gelatin (5 packs) into a pot and mix in the rest of the water. You see it gets kind of stiff.


Warm it up and add in the sugar water. Stir. Add the glycerin when all is smooth and fully dissolved. I did not know if you should boil the mixture or not - nobody said anything about this. So I did not. When it was all nice and liquid and smooth I poured it into my Pyrex dish and let it sit in the refrigerator over night. Took it out the next day and added hot water to a deep cookie sheet to unmount the plate. This does not take long. As soon as the plate gets hot is starts to melt, so you can lift it out.



Its so nice and squooshy!

So I had to try it right away and guess what - it worked beautifully! I made a lot of prints using that Leaf prints stencil.



I used one of my prints to make this card. I trimmed down the print and found a matching piece of turquoise card stock. Used the Art Edges die to give it more interest. I die cut the Birthday die twice - once in white and one in black and glued them together with a tiny off set. See below.



The "happy" is from the set Party Time.

However for tips and tricks on gelatin mono printing you have to wait until my next spotlight post! My STAMPlorations supplies:

  

 




Videos to watch how to make gelatin plates:

Remember if you try out any of the techniques from our Spotlight posts, hook your project up at our Spotlight Project Showcase.

Use code STAMPGIRLCORNELIA to get 20% off on all stamps, stencils, and dies on all regular- and sale-priced items in the store.

Happy mono printing!

16 comments:

  1. Lovely card, and thanks for the info on making your own gelli plate

    ReplyDelete
  2. really amazing...thanks for the tip to make a gelli plate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love gelli printing! And your gelli plate is amazing. I saw some tutorial but not confidence enough to try :D Your printed papers are gorgeous. That bold leaf stencil is perfect for this project.

    Thanks for sharing the tutorial and your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my stars! My favourite STAMPlorations stencil and colour combination featured here not once, but several times! Serious swooning! Thank you for the tutorial; now to find time to play!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how your gelli plate pull turned out so perfectly. Love your card - so bright and cheerful. I had a friend bring hers a while back when she came to stay after a craft show and I sure had fun playing with it. Thanks so much for your tutorial. Love to try making my own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE your color combo for your gelli print image, Cornelia. I have a Gelli plate. You make me want to get it out. How cool that you made your own plate! TFS your beautiful card. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh - glycerine and gelatin are going on my shopping list for Monday... your prints are wonderful!! Love your colours on the prints Cornelia
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! That's a great idea and beautiful outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous inspiration. Thank you for the how to make the plate and such an artsy and gorgeous card x

    ReplyDelete
  10. As always, great tutorial & very informative - I might need to try that myself. You got a wonderful selection of backgrounds and the final card is just lovely! I love blues & greens together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful tutorial, Cornelia! I love the results from your DIY gelli plate, and the colors are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for pointing me to the direction of your tutorial.
    I will have to go and buy me some glycerin and gelatin. :)

    Love the card you made with it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)