Friday, February 10, 2017

{Mixed Media Tutorial} Musical Tag by MariLynn




 and 
to make this musical tag


I started by scribbling makers onto the inside 
of a ziplock bag that I cut down to make a plastic bag book.


I sprayed water over the marker scribbles.
This made puddles of colored water.


I then closed the book and let the puddles of colored water mix.


I carefully opened the "plastic book" and 
placed white cardstock onto the surface.



When I lifted the cardstock up this is what it looked like.



I let the cardstock completely dry.
 I chose to use the following ARTplorations Stencil:


preview-stencil118-EthnicOrganicTwo

To hold the stencil down I used plain tape.
I put the tape on the back of my hand first.
(The oils on your skin make it so the tape
is not as sticky and it won't rip the paper
when you go to pull it up.) 


All taped up and ready to go.


I then sprayed plain water over the stencil.


After removing the stencil when it is 
still a little wet,
you can see the design.


But, the design gets more visible as it completely dries.


 I pulled this piece of designer paper from my stash. 
(the Paper Studio Josephine's miscellany)
I liked the pianos and the music notes,
 but the color in the background 
was too blue and didn't go very well with the
colors on my cardstock pieces.


So I went back to my "plastic book" and
added teal marker scribbles to make
some teal colored water and placed
the designer paper on the surface.

But it looked a little too one dimensional... so

I added some blue


and some brown and green.


This side by side photo shows how the designer paper looked
originally on the right, and on the left side
is how it looked after 'dying" it.


Then I pulled out my all time favorite 
mixed media stamp set. 
stmp1004-a.jpeg


I stamped onto the cardstock using black stazon ink.

I cut out a tag shape out of the designer paper. I traced it
and cut it out with my scissors.


I have an old punch called word window. 
I had black and white pieces of cardstock punched out.


I laid them out to look like a keyboard of a piano.



It was at this point that I was thinking...
"Wouldn't it be cool to splatter some black paint
onto my tag?"
But, I didn't want it on the keys of the piano
so I masked them.


 I finished off the tag by taking the 
two cardstock pieces and taping them
together and cutting a strip. I wrapped the strip with twine.
I added a couple of colored pearls and
I added some ribbon to the top.



8 comments:

  1. TFS all your layers Marilynn. It was fun seeing your step by step creation. Your final images turned out so well. Love your mixed media tag. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! This is fabulous!! Thank you for all the step by step directions. The tag looks so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic tutorial MariLynn. Love your end result. Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very thorough tutorial. What a lovely result.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this tutorial. Your creation and the steps to get to it are inviting me to give mixed media a try. You encourage me.

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)