Tuesday, February 21, 2017

{Spotlight Project} Becca Gets Inlaid


It's Becca here and I'm going to talk about my first experience trying the inlaid die cutting technique.


Those who know me best know that this card is wayyyyy outside my realm of messy, artsy, grungy comfort but I've wanted to try inlaid die cutting for the longest time, and it seems like it fits a cleaner aesthetic best. Of course I had to choose the HARDEST die cut ever for my very first time - 28 different pieces!! :o)


I started by choosing 4 different coordinating colors. 


Then I used the Lowercase Alphabet Plate Die cut on all four of these colors.


Since I wanted to use the base of the die as an element in my card, I lined up the die to create straight edges and kept it in place with a row of washi tape. 


I poked out all the letters and then stared at these piles for a good long while thinking... WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO??!?! So I went to find a glass of wine, had a little cookie, and then returned to the piles. 


I cut my bases down and mounted them onto a piece of white cardstock. 


Next, I began the tedious process of putting all those little pieces together.

>insert more wine here<


I stamped the sweet little elephant from the Tweet Love stamp set and used a sentiment from the Party Time stamp set to complete this card. 


How adorable are these?? I'm not going to lie, this is super time intensive and tedious... but these cards turned out so cute that I just might try this technique again! 

I'd love to see what you are doing with inlaid die cutting. If my projects inspired you to create something of your own, make sure to link them up to the Spotlight Gallery.

15 comments:

  1. Your card is absolutely darling; good for you in really stepping outside your comfort zone!
    ~carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is so cute! Love the colours and the alphabet die cut. I need to get inlaid:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. What great done with the letters. Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant card, Becca! You're more successful than me when I venture outside of my comfort zone - you're a natural.
    Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your alphabet soup turned into a card!! How cute is this and I never would have thought that you were going to use the letters like this!! I love your edging too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute cards and the time spent was worth it :) love them. I will have to give inlaid die cutting more of a go in the future because i truly love the results. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cards came out adorable!! I love the fun colors and that little elephant is too fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your alphabet inlaid baby cards turned out adorable Becca. Just like putting puzzles together :-) TFS Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah - the wine worked and you made an awesome set of cards Becca - love these.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant 'pieces' of artistic genius here Becca. There's nothing you can't do!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cards are so precious! I've been wanting to try this technique, too, but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cute cards. Thank goodness for wine. And cookies. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, such attention to detail. Great card and ideas:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was ambitious of you to try the inlaid technique wuth the alpha die! Looks awesome! Great card!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)